Welcome to the City Clerk's Genealogy Section, your gateway to uncovering the captivating history of our beloved city and its inhabitants. Delve into the past, explore your family's roots, and connect with the heritage that has shaped our community for generations.
Tracing Your Ancestral Footsteps
Our city has a deep and storied history, and its growth is intrinsically tied to the families who have called it home over the years. This genealogy resource is designed to help you trace your ancestral footsteps and discover the people, places, and events that have contributed to the unique tapestry of our city.
Vital records registration started in New York State outside of New York City in 1881. Our office provides uncertified copies of the following types of records for genealogy research purposes:
- Birth certificates - if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.
- Death certificates - if on file for at least 50 years.
- Marriage certificates - if on file for at least 50 years and both spouses are known to be deceased.
Are the time periods ever waived?
The time periods are waived for direct-line descendants. A direct line descendant is a person in the direct line of descent, i.e., the child, grandchild, great-grandchild of the person whose record is requested. The direct-line descendant applicant must provide the following:
- Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of both spouses whose marriage certificate they are requesting.
The standard fee for a genealogy copy is $22.00 - This includes a copy of the certificate, a three-year search of the index, the retrieval and re-filing of the microfilm/microfiche and either a copy of the record or a no-record report. When more than a three-year search is requested, the fee is higher.
|1 to 3 years||$22.00|
|4 to 10 years||$42.00|
|11 to 20 years||$62.00|
|21 to 30 years||$82.00|
|31 to 40 years||$102.00|
|41 to 50 years||$122.00|
|51 to 60 years||$142.00|
|61 to 70 years||$162.00|
|71 to 80 years||$182.00|
|81 to 90 years||$202.00|
The fee applies separately to each record requested. For example, the fee for a request consisting of one birth record (1-year search for $22.00), plus one death record (24-year search for $82.00), plus one marriage record (11-year search for $62.00) is a total of $166.00