Any resident who has a Yard Sale or Garage Sale in the City of Middletown must have a permit, issued by the City Clerk's Office, according to the City Code Chapter 384 Article II Garage/Yard Sales.
• There are No Rain Dates for Yard Sales
• Yard Sales are only 8:00 a.m. through 8:00 p.m. only
• The Permit for a Yard Sale is $10.00
• Yard Sales or Garage sale permits are limited to only two (2) per year, for no more than 3 consecutive days.
• A $50.00 refundable deposit is required for all Yard Sales and will be refunded after the Code Enforcement Department authorizes the compliance of Chapter 319-17 Litter Law:
Chapter 319-17. MIDDLETOWN CITY CODE: POSTING NOTICES PROHIBITED
No person shall post or affix any notice, poster or other paper or device calculated to attract the attention of the public to any lamppost, public utility pole or shade tree, or upon any public structure or building, except as may be authorized or required by law.
There are also no posting of signs on City property, such as street signs, stop signs and yield signs. City property also includes sidewalks. Signs are permitted on private property with the owner's permission and must be taken down the next day.
Yard Sale application → pdf Yard Sale Application (21 KB)
Payments must be made before the date of the yard sale at the City Clerk's office or you may mail your check for $50.00 and a separate check for $10.00, made out to The City of Middletown. Mail your checks and application to City Clerk's Office, 16 James Street, Middletown, NY 10940. Also include a self-stamped addressed envelope to mail the signed permit back to you. The City at this time does not have the capacity to pay online debit or credit.
Please allow enough time to receive your signed Yard Sale permit in the mail.